You can make soup with just about anything in your kitchen and a little water. This Polenta Chicken Soup recipe of mine is incredibly easy. Just add your own side salad and you’ve got yourself a satisfying, nutrient-filled gluten free meal!
1 sweet onion
4 stalks celery
4 large peeled California carrots
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 bag of frozen green sweet peas
¼ cup Polenta
Grated buffalo mozzerella cheese to sprinkle on top
1. In a large (approx. 5 quart) dutch oven or spaghetti pot, sautée chopped onion and chicken in a little bit of olive oil.
2. Add chopped carrots, celery and peas then fill dutch oven half full with water—covering ingredients. Simmer two hours.
3. Take a potato masher and gently break up veggies. The chicken is usually so tender from the cooking process it just falls apart. Or keep as-is and serve in hearty pieces!
4. Right before you are ready to serve, slowly add ¼ cup of polenta, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth and bubbly over medium heat. It thickens the soup and turns it into a meal.
5. Sprinkle with cheese and serve with YOUR salad.
I made my salad with mixed greens, pecans, apples, bacon and blue cheese dressing. Somehow it just came together with what we had in the fridge, but yours can be anything… your own special complementary creation.
If you’re stuck on salad ideas, here are some of my favorite deeeelicious healthful, gluten free treats to put on a bed of greens:
Garbanzo beans, corn, black beans, tomatoes, artichokes, Craisins (dried cranberries), raisins, any type of cheese, and any variety of nuts.
If you keep these ingredients—and dressing— stocked in your fridge or pantry, then you just have to remember to get the greens. You’ll have magnificence, health and ease at your fingertips… or fork! 🙂