It’s time to get fired up for football season! Fall is starting and I’m in the mood for something colorful, homey and rustic. Especially after last week and the looming threat of Hurricane Matthew to South Florida.
Burgers are a great tailgating food and golden grilled fresh pineapple rings remind me of sunshine, so I created these post-hurricane Here Comes the Sun Aussie Burgers to liven up my day! These no bun fruit-n-veggie burgers are light and healthy enough to keep you feeling good, but definitely fit in with the indulgent feel of football food.
Here Comes the Sun, No Bun Aussie Burgers
• 1 fresh pineapple, sliced into rings
• 2 red bell peppers, sliced into rings
• 1 lb. mini sweet bell peppers
• 1 package ground chuck, formed into any size you choose by hand
• One 8 oz package of Applegate bacon (or your favorite brand)
• 1 small sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
• Provolone cheese slices
• Olive oil
• Mayo, ketchup and pickle relish for the dipping sauce
1.Cook bacon according to directions and set aside
2. In a separate ridged grill pan or cast iron skillet, cook peppers and onions with a dash of olive oil over medium-high heat, then remove and grill pineapple until pineapple is tender and caramelized
3. Place the hand pressed burgers in the pan used to cook the bacon for the perfect seared edges and a crispy outside and cook until desired doneness
4. Final step, stack everything exactly how you like it on top of a healthy salad and serve with a side of classic Thousand Island dressing for dipping!
Traditional Aussie Burgers are made with pickled beets and a fried egg, but this version substitutes the beet and egg for bacon, peppers and Provolone—a perfectly delicious sweet and smoky combo. I get 8 ounces (not larger) because bacon is my weakness. Just a lil bit of bacon for me in the house! I also like to to use Sargento’s Provolone cheese slices which are only 40 calories per slice and an easy way to track portion size.
I LOVE this burger because it’s fresh, it’s Friday, and it fires me up to make freakin’ FANTASTIC man meals so I am prepared and practiced for the next Boyz visit when my sons come to dinner. I’ll get some brioche buns for them, but it’s gluten free for me!
When you can’t have a bun with your burger then—for almost everyone—ketchup is a must! It’s a tiny piece of life, but an ingredient that we really miss when it’s not around. It’s those special things like a little hit of Tabasco or a couple of sweet pickles that puts a grin on your chin! Let’s face it… it’s JUST ketchup. However it ranks super high on my list, so I wrote a lil somethin’ about it.
My Miss You
Is an issue
Because you’re sweet and memorable
I like when you’re at our table
You make breakfast, lunch and dinner
A sweet treat. A real winner.
Your presence at a new day’s glorious morning is a big deal
I wish for you to be at every meal
We definitely need to catch up
Have our next dinner be cheeseburgers and ketchup
And that’ll solve this issue
Get a big bottle & add cast iron skillet fries just for YOU!
This colorful messy burger on a sun kissed, clear blue sky day is sure to bring a smile to your face… and your belly. 🌞