One 5 lb bag of Mussels
One bottle of Pinot Grigio
8 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
2 basil leaves
½ cup shaved aged Asiago cheese
A generous sprinkle of both parsley & oregano
1. First, clean the mussels in cold fresh water to remove any sand and grit before steaming them. Discard any mussels that are not tightly closed.
2. Saute 8 minced garlic cloves in olive oil in the bottom of a large sauce pan. Add parsley, oregano, and ¼ cup of cheese. Stir.
3. Add one cup of both water and wine to the olive oil and bring to a boil. Add mussels, stir well, reduce heat to medium, and cover.
4. Steam mussels until they open. They cook rapidly (about 8–10 min) and are done when they open. Too much heat makes them dry and tough.
5. Place 6 on a plate, sprinkle with cheese, and serve with a side of bread—for the bread people. I skip it, but my guests always love to dip their bread in this broth. 🙂
6. Pour the rest of slightly chilled white wine into glasses and serve!