Here’s a recipe I made this weekend for my own homemade Italian marinara sauce and zoodles (zucchini noodles)!
Ingredients (enough for 2-4 people)
1 – 6 oz can tomato paste
1 – 28 oz can of Italian peeled tomatoes in tomato purée
Garlic or garlic paste
2 tbsp olive oil
Chopped parsley and oregano
1 bay leaf
Freshly ground pepper
1. In a large sauce pan or spaghetti pot, drizzle in the olive oil, then saute a garlic clove or one inch of garlic paste. Don’t let it get too hot.
2. Add in one can of tomato paste and one can of equal parts water. Stir.
3. Next, add the peeled tomatoes. I used a potato masher to break them up. It makes the sauce thicker and richer. Add the bay leaf and spices to taste.
4. Simmer on low for at least an hour. My Mom Annabelle simmers hers for two. Of course the ultimate yummy thing is to add meatballs to this, but pre-cook until the meatballs are almost done, then let them cook the rest of the way in the sauce. You could also add onion, mushrooms, and Italian sausage that you pre-cook.
5. For the Zoodles, you’ll need a spiralizer (or julienne peeler). It really doesn’t matter what brand. I use a Benriner spiral vegetable slicer that I picked up at Sur La Table and LOVE IT. It’s so easy and cranks out a ton of zoodles in no time. Just follow the instructions for your spiralizer in the insert. There’s really no prepping or cooking of any kind. You could easily stir-fry your zoodles, or place them in a microwave-safe dish and cook on high for 2 minutes if you prefer them warm—but not soggy!
Honestly, this no carb dinner will give you Zoodles of Energy, and trading processed food (high-carb pasta) for veggies is a great way to eat whether you’re celiac, gluten free or not. 💚