I made a delicious and super simple gluten free Crab Rangoon recipe on New Year’s Eve. I wanted to make something light with not a lot of prep needed. An appetizer to wind down the holiday season of festive meals, and loved by all.
Crab Rangoon is a long time favorite of mine. I thought that experimenting with an easy, gluten-free way to make it would be a great way to end the Old year and begin the New. A transition to new foods, to start fresh, and jump in feet first!
Gluten free wonton wrappers are very hard to find, and the ones that are available are made from rice flour and tapioca flour. I don’t like to eat those types of carbs, so I substituted corn tortillas for the wrappers. The taste was a fusion of Asian and Mexican. A Crab Rangoon Taquito!
Gluten Free Crab Rangoon
Equal parts lump colossal crab and cream cheese
Sweet chili sauce
1. Mix together colossal crab and cream cheese until well blended and the crab flakes apart. Make sure you use real crab meat instead of the imitation, because the fake stuff contains wheat flour so it’s not gluten free.
2. Warm tortillas in microwave for 10 seconds to soften.
3. Place a dollop of mixture in the center of each tortilla. Fold tortilla over the crab mixture so that the four sides overlap each other.
4. Heat coconut oil in a deep frying pan or wok to about 350º-375º.
5. Place tortillas in hot oil, fold side down. Turn once and remove when golden brown.
6. Use sweet chili sauce for dipping, or any sauce you love.
You can add your favorite spices like cumin or curry to the mixture to give it a little more zip. I like it the traditional way. 🙂