I grew up with my 100% Italian mom and grandma making Stuffed Shells or homemade Manicotti for Christmas. I made those for my kids and husband every Christmas until we went low carb / no carb. To stick close to Italian family tradition, we went with a (gluten free) Chicken Parmesan that my mom Annabelle (she goes by one name like Madonna—because she is a Rock Star in her own right) taught me how to make!
Momma Annabelle’s Chicken Parmesan:
Mix together in one shallow dish:
2 cups of Gillian’s bread crumbs
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
A sprinkle of both parsley and basil
Mix together in a separate bowl:
Dash of milk
1. Mix the eggs and milk, then add chicken until moist. Dredge each cutlet in the bread crumb / cheese mixture.
2. Place olive oil on the bottom of 9×13 Pyrex glass baking dish.
3. Place cutlets evenly in pan and sprinkle olive oil on top.
4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
5. When done, remove from oven and add a topping of Rao’s sauce to each cutlet and a slice of fresh buffalo mozzerella. Put back in oven until melted.
6. Add any twist to make it your own. Mushrooms, more cheese… less cheese. I used oven roasted zucchini and brussels sprouts. 🙂
By the way… Annabelle would never use a pre-made sauce like Rao’s. She makes her own sauce—which I do on occasion—but she never uses a jar. Her sauce recipe coming soon :)!